'House probe on arms deal no longer needed'
MANILA - Despite appeals by the House minority to pursue its probe on former Interior and Local Government Undersecretary Rico Puno, lawmakers' investigation on the procurement of firearms will no longer push through.
Agham party Rep. Angelo Palmones said he was convinced there was no longer a need for the House committee on peace and order to continue the probe after he reviewed the proceedings of Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago's committee on constitutional amendments and revision of laws.
Palmones and Rep. Romeo Acop filed a joint resolution on Wednesday asking the House to look into the Philippine National Police's almost P1-billion procurement of nearly 60,000 Glock 17 Generation 4 pistols.
They backtracked after the Santiago summoned Puno to appear before the Senate last week.
Rep. Mitos Magsaysay, a member of the House minority, however, wants the investigation to continue.
Magsaysay said the probe should continue for the sake of transparency and accountability.
The investigation is also an opportunity for all individuals and government agencies implicated in the case to clear their names, she said.
She added that the decision to continue the probe now lies in the hands of the House leadership.