Oscar Cruz attacking us since Day 1: Palace
MANILA - A Palace spokesman on Monday refused to comment on the latest tirade of Lingayen, Dagupan Archbishop emeritus Oscar Cruz, saying that the prelate has been attacking the Aquino administration since day 1.
Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda was asked to comment on Cruz's statement that the government under President Aquino is now damaged since the legislature is now in "the pocket of the administration."
"You know, Oscar Cruz from day one has been attacking us. So we have stopped commenting on his statements already. You know, to those who don’t believe in us, there’s no amount of convincing that will do. So, we’ll just respect his opinion, but it stopped at respecting his opinion," Lacierda said.
Cruz is backing calls to mount another rally against the pork barrel system, this time on Ayala Avenue on Friday, October 4.
He earlier said individuals linked to the pork barrel scam should return the funds they stole and face plunder charges.
Cruz, former president of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), also expressed doubts that the scam will be resolved during the administration of President Benigno Aquino III.
“The incumbent administration only has three years remaining in its term, I am not sure if they can do it…But I am 100 percent certain that this issue of the pork barrel will not be resolved three years from now. That is 100 percent sure. What happens then, we have to wait and see,” he said in a CBCPNews report.
The prelate has been a vocal critic of President Aquino because of the latter's support for the reproductive health bill, which was passed into law last year. With a report by Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News