Roxas: Serendra blast caused by LPG leak, negligence
Ayala firms may be liable for the blast – Roxas
MANILA (1st UPDATE) - The blast at the posh Two Serendra condominium in Taguig City last May 31 was definitely caused by a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) leak, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas said.
The gas leak can be blamed, however, on the negligence of the unit owner all the way to the building owners, including the Ayala companies.
In a press conference, Roxas said there was a “bahala na, okay lang attitude. This can be seen, for example, from the failure to get permits for the renovation of the unit and the unauthorized access to the gas valves.”
He said they will submit the report to the Department of Justice (DOJ) to assess the necessary charges that may be filed against the individuals and companies involved.
Those liable may include the: owners and caretakers of Unit 501-B from where the blast happened, construction firm RM Ladrido, Two Serendra, Inc., Bonifacio Gas Corp., and the Makati Development Corp.
Citing police investigations, Roxas said there was an unauthorized use of the gas valve when the unit was being renovated. “All units actually have access to the gas valve. It was supposed to be locked. Witnesses said, however, that the valve can easily be opened.”
Two Serendra uses a centralized vapor state distribution system, he explained.
On that day, “there was a power failure that was why the leak detector and the automatic shut off valve did not work,” he said. He said the one and only gas leak detector did not work.
He also said the vapor system did not allow tenants to easily smell the leak.
“This is one tragedy that should not happen again,” he said. He also suggested a new or revised memorandum of understanding for joint inspections of the LPG facilities within Global City.
Now that the probe has ended, Roxas said the building will now be released to the management through the Taguig local government “for disposition to the owners.”
Four persons were killed, including the person occupying the unit, Angelito San Juan. The latter only borrowed the unit for his supposed duration of stay here in the Philippines.