Say sorry to Hong Kong, JV Ejercito tells PNoy
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino should apologize to Hong Kong for the botched Manila hostage-taking crisis three years ago, Senator JV Ejercito said Thursday.
Ejercito, in a press statement, said Aquino should show humility and own up to the incident that led to the death of 8 Hong Kong tourists and the police officer who took them hostage.
"We were the one at fault, we should apologize. President Aquino ought to show humility on this hostage issue, which had already cost us millions in revenue," he said.
Ejercito claimed that the Philippines has lost around $12 million in revenues because Hong Kong tourists are avoiding the country.
He accused the Aquino administration of sacrificing tourists revenues in exchange for pride.
China earlier this week renewed its call for Aquino to say sorry for the incident.
Survivors and relatives of the victims have been demanding an apology from the Philippine government. They also seek compensation and punishment for the officials responsible for the incident.
"The Chinese government's position on the Hong Kong hostage crisis is consistent and clear. We urge the Philippine government to pay high attention to the requirements and concerns of the families of the victims, take concrete and effective measures and work out a proper solution as soon as possible," Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Huan Chunying said in Beijing.