Funeral march set for commemoration of Maguindanao massacre
MANILA, Philippines -- Various media organizations are set to hold a procession of 154 coffins on November 23 to commemorate the third anniversary of the brutal Maguindanao massacre.
Fifty-eight people, including 32 journalists, were killed in the town of Ampatuan in Maguindanao province on November 23, 2009. The Maguindanao massacre is tagged as the worst political-related violence in the country.
Last week, another member of the media was killed in Cabanatuan City. Radio broadcaster Julius Cauzo was the 154th journalist killed since 1986.
In an interview with Radio Veritas, National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) Secretary General Rowena Paraan said the procession would be held to show the media's protest over the slow pace of the Maguindanao trial.
“Third anniversary na ng massacre sa isang linggo, at magkakaroon ang iba’t-ibang media organization ng ecumenical service, isang silent protest ito kaugnay ng paghingi ng katarungan dahil hanggang ngayon wala pang napaparusahan sa Maguindanao massacre,” Paraan said.
NUJP said the march will be from Welcome Rotonda in Manila to Mendiola.