MANILA, Philippines - The Bureau of Fire Protection -National Capital Region reported a fewer number of fire incidents in Metro Manila during the New Year's Eve celebration last night, compared to the previous year.
Chief Superintendent Santiago Laguna said Tuesday there were 12 fire incidents in Metro Manila from December 31, 2012 to January 1, 2013 which damaged at least P4 million worth of properties.
No fatality was recorded, but a casualty was reported when Fire Officer 2 Edgardo Medina of Caloocan suffered a minor laceration on his right cheek when he responded to a fire.
The number of fire incidents was lower than the 21 fire incidents that the BFP recorded during the same period last year.
Laguna attributed the low number of incidents to the success of their "Oplan Iwas Paputok".
"I would also like to commend the media in their effort of informing the public of the strong message of the BFP to be extra careful in celebrating the New Year," said Laguna.