Fire razes 60 homes in Pasay
MANILA -- About 60 houses along Protacio Street in Barangay 137, Pasay City were razed by fire on Wednesday.
City Fire Marshall Douglas Guiab said 120 families were affected by the blaze. Cost of damage from the fire was estimated at P800,000.
At least three people were injured in the blaze, including 75-year-old Felomina Tiedra.
Guiuab said the fire, which reached the third alarm, was caused by an unattended lit candle.
"Right now naka focus tayo sa Tiedra family dahil allegedly mayroon siyang iniwang kandila and then kinuha niya ang bata, yun na ho ang pangyayari so unattended open flame," Guiab said.
"We're still conducting initial investigation and overhauling so marami pa tayong gagawin before we determine the origin and the cause of the fire," Guiab added.
The owner of the house, Reden Tiedra, said he lit the candle and placed it on top of an amplifier because they had no electricity.
"Tinawag ko ng yung asawa ko, lumabas ako diyan para kumain ngayon tinanong ako ng asawa ko sinabi ko, 'nandun yung bata puntahan mo.' Pag punta niya doon segundo lang talaga, nag-aapoy na raw," Tiedra said.
"Tinakbo ko. Pagtakbo kong ganun ayan na yung apoy. Nasagi raw ng pusa yung kandila. Bago ako bumaba inayos ko sinigurado ko naman yun," he added.