Deniece Cornejo files rape complaint against Vhong

Posted at 01/29/14 5:24 PM

Photos courtesy of Pia Gutierrez, ABS-CBN News

MANILA -- Model Deniece Cornejo on Wednesday filed rape charges against actor-host Vhong Navarro, who was mauled by businessmen Cedric Lee's group inside a condominium unit in Bonifacio Global City last week.

Cornejo arrived at the Taguig City Hall of Justice together with her legal counsel, Atty. Aquino, and Cedric Lee's legal counsel, Atty. Howard Calleja.

Calleja explained that they filed a complaint for rape based on the facts presented to them, as well as Cornejo's statement.

"We never said attempted rape. Whatever they said before were the interpretation of a layman, not a lawyer. Based on the evidences (sic) presented to us, it clearly constituted a crime of rape," he added.

Lee claimed he beat up Navarro after seeing him attempting to rape Cornejo on the night of January 22.

Last Monday, Cornejo expressed her intent on filing charges against Navarro, maintaining that she is the victim in this case.

“Isa lang po masasabi ko. If you want justice, I’ll give you the real justice. Mataas, napakataas ng paghanga ko sa mga lalaki na marunong rumespeto at ipagtanggol ang mga kababaihan. Kung meron mang inosente at biktima rito, wala nang iba kung hindi ako."

Navarro has denied raping or attempting to rape Cornejo on January 22. He claimed he was set up by Lee and Cornejo, and that they tried to extort P1 million from him.


When asked about the closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage released by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Calleja expressed his view that the footage is just part of the story.

He also said that the footage shows who is telling the truth and who is making up stories.

"Makikita po natin dito kung sino ang nagsasabi ng totoo, at kung sino ang gumagawa ng mga script. CCTV can only show you part of the story. What we have here are eye witnesses that can tell the whole story. We are not even sure if the CCTV is clear, has been tampered, or whatever has happened with that," he said.

He assured the public that his clients have no intention of leaving the country, and that they will continue the fight for justice before the court of law.

Calleja also said that there is a conflict of interest in the case, as Navarro's lawyers come from the same law firm which once handled Cedric Lee's case against David Bunevacz. -- with reports from Henry Atuelan, dzMM and Pia Guiterrez, ABS-CBN News