Who are the other suspects in Vhong's mauling?

Posted at 01/30/14 9:59 PM

MANILA - The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Thursday named the suspects involved in the mauling of actor and TV host Vhong Navarro.

NBI agents went to the hospital where Navarro is recuperating to show him photos of the suspects.

He positively identified three of them -- Cedric Lee, Deniece Cornejo, and an alias "Mike."

Based on information gathered by the NBI, including the closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage taken at the condominium where the mauling took place, the suspects are:

JP Calma
- a 40-year-old construction company businessman who lives in Makati.

Ferdinand Guerrero
- a 50-55 year-old business partner of Lee engaged in black sand mining in Cagayan. Guerrero is also allegedly a partner of Lee at the Beverly Hills 6750 Medical Aesthetic Center. An NBI source said Guerrero gave information to Lee regarding the alleged mismanagement of Beverly Hills 6750 by their other business partner, David Bunevacz.

Jed Fernandez
- alias "Mike," a 39-year-old pharmacy businessman

Zimmer Raz
- alias "Zimmer Rance," a body builder, cyclist, and a former Mr. Philippines. Raz reportedly works as a bodyguard for rich businessmen in the country. The NBI said Raz is currenlty on vacation in the country. Lee earlier told ABS-CBN News that Raz knows mixed martial arts and helped him subdue Navarro.

Bernice Lee
- alias "Marie," an older sister of Lee who lives in Greenhills, San Juan.

NBI official Atty. Vicente de Guzman III said there are still trying to identify 3 other people involved in the incident. He said all information will be submitted to the Department of Justice, which has jurisdiction over the case.


NBI agents tried to serve the subpoena for Raz on Thursday, but but no one was around at a compound where he reportedly lives.

One of Raz's neighbors said he is not surprised that the bodybuilder got involved in the mauling.

The NBI left the subpoena with barangay officials and it was later received by Raz's brother.

Calma, meanwhile, sent a letter asking the NBI to reschedule his hearing because he has no lawyer yet.

A representative from the Garbo Law Office also went to the NBI on behalf of Soledad Ramos, the owner of the condo unit where Deniece Cornejo was staying.

She also asked that her hearing be moved.

No-shows were representatives from Mega Force Security, who were supposed to provide the NBI with another CCTV video from the condominium where Navarro was mauled last week.

They include the security guard seen talking to Lee's group at the lobby.

Fernandez also failed to show up.

However, one of the lawyers of Lee and Cornejo was around.

"We are just here to make a representation," said Atty. Arleo Magtibay of the Calleja Law Office.

The NBI said it is giving all those involved in Navarro's mauling a chance to explain themselves.

"We want to make sure kung itong mga pangalan na binibigay itong mga taong kasama ni Cedric," de Guzman said.

The Justice Department has placed Cornejo, Lee and his sister Bernice, and several others on the Bureau of Immigration's lookout bulletin.

This means all air and sea ports are alerted on their possible departure.

Cornejo and Lee have reportedly booked a flight for Singapore, but their lawyer said they're not planning to leave the country.

"If ever true, how sure are we na silang dalawa lang? Di naman sila public figure. They will fight this case fairly. I assure the Filipino people I will make sure my clients will be there to face the case," Atty. Howard Calleja told ANC.

The DOJ has also formed an all-female panel to handle the preliminary investigation of the serious illegal detention, serious physical injuries, grave threats, grave coercion, unlawful arrest, and blackmail charges filed by Navarro and the NBI against the group of Lee and Cornejo.

Cornejo, meanwhile, has filed a rape complaint against Navarro. - reports from Zyann Ambrosio and Niko Baua, ABS-CBN News; ANC