When do you have to get new license plates?
MANILA – The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has introduced new license plates aimed at putting an end to plate-switching and other violations.
Jason Salvador, spokesperson of the LTO, on Friday introduced the security features of the new plates which will be released soon.
"Sa kasalukuyan, may nine designs ng plates na gumagala sa lansangan. Mahirap para sa law enforcers ma-determine alin ang totoo, at napakadaling pekein, kaya minabuti natin na ipagpare-parehas lahat ng sa ganun kung iba plaka mo madaling makita," he said.
Salvador said plate numbers of all registered vehicles will be replaced, in due time.
"Mapapalitan lahat ng plate numbers, pero hindi agad-agad. Ang plano namin, pag napunuan na ang backlog sa plates, sisimulan na pag-replace sa existing car owners. Uunahin natin ang pampubliko, sometime in June or July," he said.
Salvador also explained that the release of plates will be based on the date of renewal.
"For example, if you renew your plates every September, pag nag-renew ng rehistro, saka pa lang magbabayad for new plates. If you have just renewed your plate number last February, then you can pay for the new plates in February next year. Sa mga bagong kotse, three years na ang renewal period, so after three years na magkakaroon ng bagong plate," he said.
NEW SECURITY FEATURES FOR PRIVATE CARS:
• 3rd Plate Sticker -- affixed to the windshield and features the plate number of the vehicle
• Region where the vehicle was registered
• Special screw -- specially designed screw with two heads, deterrent to transfer of plates. Any attempt to remove the screw will damage the plate.
NEW SECURITY FEATURES FOR PUBLIC TRANSPORT:
• 3rd Plate Sticker – affixed to the windshield and features the plate number of the vehicle, as well as the REGISTERED ROUTE, to prevent transferring of plates. Deterrent to colorum, out of line, cutting trip
• Region where the vehicle was registered and WHAT KIND OF PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. (See photo)
• Special screw
NEW SECURITY FEATURES FOR PROTOCOL PLATES:
• Will include term (16th Congressm 2013-2016)
• Special screw
WHO CAN APPLY FOR NEW PLATES?
• The new plates, with THREE LETTERS and FOUR NUMBERS will be given to newly registered vehicles only from February 17 onwards. Old plates will retain their alphanumeric characters (THREE LETTERS, THREE NUMBERS)
• For motor vehicles (tricycles and motorcycles), those which were registered beginning Sept. 2, 2013 to present
WHY THE NEW, SIMPLE DESIGN?
"Pinag-aralan po, ito mabuti kung bakit ganito kasimple. Studies show na yung black on white is highly visible from afar at kung mapapansin nyo, based on international standards din po ito kaya madaling makita from a distance at from all angles," Salvador explained.
He also clarified that fees will still be the same – P450 for four-wheeled vehicles and P120 for motorcycles.
"Sa P450 at 120, kasama na ang lahat, hindi lamang plaka pero ang 3rd plate sticker at special screw may dalawang ulo," he said.