Fire razes more than 200 homes in Tondo

Posted at 03/23/14 11:35 AM

MANILA, Philippines – More than 1,000 families were affected by a fire in Tondo, Manila early Sunday morning.

The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) said the blaze reached Task Force Bravo but is now under control. BFP assistant regional director Sr. Supt. Aderson Comar said some houses are still burning, however.

The BFP estimates that some 200 to 300 houses were razed by the fire, which was the largest so far that occurred in Metro Manila this month, incidentally the Fire Prevention Month.

The fire spread quickly as the houses in the area were made of light materials.

The local Social Welfare Office helped the affected families evacuate to the nearby covered court and barangay halls, while some were taken to neighboring barangays. Some other victims were brought to Tondo High School.

No one was reported injured in the fire.

Authorities suspect that the fire started due to faulty electrical wiring. -- Report from Zandro Ochona and Dennis Datu, DZMM.