MANILA, Philippines - The Bureau of Internal Revenue received a bomb threat Friday morning as police looked into the possibility that it was intended for a BIR official who survived an ambush attempt earlier this month.
The caller, who phoned the BIR at past 9 a.m., mentioned the name “Daniel,” presumably referring to lawyer Daniel de Jesus, 46, who was wounded in an attack on May 8.
“We’re looking into the possibility that it (bomb threat) was intended for him (De Jesus),” said Superintendent Limuel Obon, commander of the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) Station10.
Obon said De Jesus has yet to provide information on who could be behind the attempt on his life.
At around 9:20 a.m. Friday, Maryglenda Soterio of the BIR’s legal assistance office, received the phone call about the supposed bomb at the agency, said Inspector Noel Sublay, who heads the QCPD’s Explosives and Ordnance Division.
The male caller told Soterio: “Andyan ba si Daniel? Sabihin mo hindi pa kami tapos. Tigilan nya kami. May tinanim kaming bomba dyan (Is Daniel there? We’re not finished. Leave us alone. We planted a bomb there).”
Sublay said a search of the entire BIR premises did not yield any explosive device.
Sublay said BIR officials did not stop work at the agency as the search for the supposed explosive device was done under wraps.
No suspect yet
Obon said they had yet to establish any suspect on the ambush on De Jesus, who heads the BIR’s Internal Investigation Division.
De Jesus sustained only a gunshot wound in his right shoulder even if the vehicle he was driving was strafed by the gunman on a motorcycle. Both the gunman and the one driving the motorcycle were wearing helmets.
After the ambush try, De Jesus told police he could not point to anyone who could be behind the attempt on his life.
Even QCPD director Chief Superintendent Richard Albano had requested to talk to De Jesus to find clues on the perpetrators of the ambush.
Obon said De Jesus had not responded to the request.
According to Obon, De Jesus has been on leave from work since he was discharged the hospital after the ambush attempt.
“He has not reported for work ever since and we have yet to get his statement (on the ambush),” Obon said.