Palace OKs 'express lane' for cargo trucks
MANILA - Malacanang on Thursday announced the designation of an express lane for cargo trucks in parts of Metro Manila.
Communications Secretary Sonny Coloma said that in accordance with the President's guidance, Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras met earlier in the day with Manila and other local officials, port authorities, truckers’ representatives, and the business community to resolve the truck ban controversy.
“As agreed upon in the meeting, there will be a 24-hour express lane for cargo trucks to facilitate movement into and out of the Port of Manila along Roxas Boulevard through the cities of Manila, Pasay and Paranaque,” Coloma said.
He said that it was agreed during the meeting that all concerned parties will work together to reduce the backlog in truck deliveries.
"Government is appealing to consignees of shipments to accept deliveries even during night time in order to clear the backlog. We view the resolution of this ticklish issue as being essential to ensuring the smooth flow of goods that will support economic growth and progress,” he added.
The City of Manila has imposed a truck ban to ease traffic but this has been blamed for a backlog in cargo shipments that need to be brought out of the Port of Manila.
The ban shortened the hours within which trucks can ply Manila's roads.