Junjun Binay: Foes target family

Posted at 06/16/2014 6:07 PM | Updated as of 06/17/2014 3:15 PM

MANILA - Makati Mayor Junjun Binay believes that an orchestrated move is being carried out by their political rivals to discredit their family.

Binay said the move is obviously due to the 2016 elections.

Speaking at a press conference in the Mayor's Office on Monday, Binay said they are looking at the possible connection between the move of their political rivals and the privilege speech delivered last week by Caloocan Rep. Edgar Erice.

He said they were able to get a copy of a draft complaint that will be filed by their rivals against his father, Vice-President Jejomar Binay, for plunder.

Binay said the case is about an old project done by Makati City, when his father was still the mayor.

"Masyado namang nagkasunod-sunod na pagkatapos magsalita nung congressman nitong nagdaang linggo na 'bahala na yung mga local politicians na magsampa ng kaso', heto naman at may magsasampa ng kaso," he said.

Binay said the case is baseless but they are concerned about the manner in which their political rivals are ganging up against them.

He said they expect their political rivals will be filing similar cases against them.

The Makati mayor, however, is not keen on taking legal actions against their rivals.

Meantime, a Palace official on Monday distanced the Office of the President from Erice's attacks on the vice-president and his family.

"Wala akong impormasyon hinggil diyan. Kahapon ay tinalakay na ‘yan sa ating radio press briefing at aking nilinaw na ang pagtatalumpati ni Kinatawan Edgar Erice ay sarili niyang inisyatiba lamang," Communications Secretary Sonny Coloma said.

Erice has asked for Binay’s resignation from the Cabinet over allegations of corruption.

Erice is a staunch ally of Liberal Party president-on-leave Mar Roxas.

Binay defeated Roxas in the 2010 vice-presidential race. They are expected to have a rematch in the 2016 presidential elections. - with a report from RG Cruz, ABS-CBN News