San Juan City issues guidelines for this year's 'Basaan'
MANILA, Philippines – The local government of San Juan City has issued guidelines for this year’s “Basaan” event Sunday to avoid trouble while commemorating the feast of St. John the Baptist.
Basaan, or the playful dousing of people with water, has become a tradition for city residents when they celebrate the annual feast.
However, there have been incidents wherein soaked pedestrians get into fights with revelers.
"Lagi na lang laman ng balita ang mga ganung inisdente," said San Juan Councilor Vincent Pacheco.
To avoid such trouble the City of San Juan has issued the following guidelines:
• Basaan will run from 7 a.m. until 12 noon. There will be no more dousing beyond the given time.
• Revelers are prohibited from splashing dirty or cold water during Basaan.
• Those under the influence of alcohol are prohibited from participating in Basaan.
• Revelers are prohibited from opening the windows of passing vehicles.
• Discipline officers will be dispatched to maintain order during Basaan.
Pacheco said those who will be caught violating the guidelines will be fined.
"Mag-mumulta sila," he said.
The procession of St. John the Baptist will begin at 8 a.m. -- With a report from Jeck Batallones, ABS-CBN News