Metro mayors eye cleanup day after typhoon

Posted at 07/16/14 4:14 PM

MANILA - The Metro Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council has passed a resolution recommending that all Metro Manila mayors declare a cleanup day in schools tomorrow, July 17, 2014.

Metro Manila Development Authority Chairman Francis Tolentino said the proposal is still subject to the individual approvals of local chief executives.

He said classes will be suspended in the areas concerned to allow local communities to clean up the schools.

The MMDA chief said he expects the cleanup and the rehabilitation of affected areas to be quick.

So far, 27 schools in Metro Manila are being used as evacuation centers.

Tolentino is happy at the response of the disaster responders even if communications remained a challenge.

He said local governments were prepared for the typhoon.

So far, only two fatalities have been reported in Metro Manila after the typhoon. One person was killed in Valenzuela when a wall collapsed on him while fire volunteer John Mark Diaz died in Pasig when hollow blocks fell on him as he was lowering the Philippine flag.

The council has passed a resolution commending Diaz and conveying sympathies to his family.

Tolentino called on the public to keep on cooperating with government. The MMDRRMC will scale back operations as they switch to quick rehab mode today.

The MMDA chief had to undergo a checkup after he waded in floods while surveying different areas in Metro Manila today.