Not first offense for cop who blocked PNoy convoy

Posted at 07/18/12 11:31 AM

MANILA, Philippines -  A police officer who refused to give way to the convoy of President Aquino yesterday was also relieved of duty earlier this year for another offense.

Senior Police Officer 2 Ricardo Pascua and 3 other policemen were sacked last April after they were caught in a drinking spree in civilian clothes with their guns tucked in their waists.

Chief Superintendent Mario de la Vega, head of the Quezon City Police District, said it was the chief of staff of QC Mayor Herbert Bautista who reported the incident.

De la Vega said Pascua was relieved of his duties at QCPD Station 5 and stationed at Camp Karingal while undergoing investigation. He was later absolved and allowed to return to work.

The QCPD chief said the previous offense could affect Pascua's current case involving the obstruction of the President's convoy. In the next 60 days, he said the police will investigate other possible misdemeanors of Pascua.

Pascua was relieved of his duties after he refused to give way to the presidential convoy as it was passing along Commonwealth Avenue Tuesday morning.

Brig. Gen. Ramon Mateo Dizon, Presidential Security Group chief, earlier said motorcycle sweepers had signaled to Pascua, who was driving a Mitsubishi Adventure, to give way to the President's convoy.

Instead, Pascua ignored the motorcycle sweeper and did not allow the President's convoy to pass.

He later told reporters that he had no idea that it was the President's convoy he was blocking.

“Wala naman ako ginagawa masama nagtataka ako kung bakit pinapatabi ako," he said. -- Report from Dennis Datu, radio dzMM