Murder raps filed vs San Beda law student

Posted at 08/01/2012 10:15 PM | Updated as of 08/02/2012 8:19 AM

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATE) – Police on Wednesday filed complaints of murder and violation of the Anti-Hazing Law against 3 people, including a third year student of San Beda College of Law, for their alleged involvement in the death of freshman Marc Andrei Marcos.

A security guard at the De La Salle University Medical Center in Dasmariñas, Cavite said law student Gian Angelo Veluz was one of 2 men who brought Marcos to the hospital last Sunday.

Two women, identified as Soledad Sanda and Marlyn Guadayo, were also included in the charges. Both women have gone missing since Marcos’ death on Monday.

Police earlier said the hazing victim is suspected to have undergone initiation rites at a farm in Sitio Visaya Amuntay Road, Barangay Zone 3, Dasmariñas, Cavite, which is owned by Veluz’s family.

Caretakers said more than 20 men arrived at the farm early Sunday. They said the men seemed to be having fun.

But they also heard screaming and people shouting in pain. “Parang nasasaktan po, umiiyak,” said caretaker Roger Atienza.

Atienza said Sanda and Guadayo were also at the farm to cook and serve the men food.

Sanda had earlier told police that she helped bring Marcos to the hospital on the request of Guadayo.

Jome Patricio, duty guard at the emergency section of DLSU Medical Center, said it was Veluz who brought Marcos to the hospital on Sunday.

“Siya ang nakikipag-usap, saan daw ang stretcher,” he said.

Police have also made a composite sketch of Veluz’s companion.

Doctors earlier said Marcos had no vital signs and had to be revived when brought to the hospital Sunday. He died at 3:30 pm Monday before his own family could reach the hospital.

A medical report said Marcos had bruises all over his arms and legs, which are sure signs of hazing.

Police said they have asked officers of the Lex Leonum Fraternitas, the group which Marcos had hoped to join, to shed light into the incident. 

Father says son will face consequences

Angelito Veluz, father of suspect Gian Angelo, showed up at the Philippine National Police office in Cavite and said he told his son that he and the others involved will have to be face the consequences of their acts.

Veluz said he is prepared to bring his son to the police but unfortunately, he has not been able to contact him through his cellphone, which appears to have been turned off.

He extended his family's condolences to the Marcoses and said he was willing to talk to them and help.

As a father, Veluz said he is also saddened by Andrei's death.

DOJ to conduct parallel probe

Meantime, the Department of Justice (DOJ) has directed one of its attached agencies to conduct a parallel probe into the death of Marcos.

DOJ officer-in-charge Undersecretary Francisco Baraan III told reporters he directed the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), through Director Nonnatus Rojas, to conduct the separate probe.

Baraan said the NBI has to submit its initial findings by Friday morning, August 3.

The probe will be fair and impartial, he assured, despite the fact that he, Justice Secretary Leila De Lima and Rojas are all alumni of the San Beda College of Law.

In February, San Beda Law freshman Marvin Reglos also died from alleged initiation rites. Eight fraternity men were indicted for his death. 

Malacañang condemned the death of Marcos.

Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said the perpetrators should be brought to the full extent of the law. 

Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said: "No student should become a casualty while pursuing his education. Having said that, we leave with the legislature the wisdom of whether the law stands improvement." -- Reports from Maan Macapagal, Ina Reformina, Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News