Trash from Manila Bay fills 40 trucks

Posted at 08/01/12 10:30 PM

MANILA, Philippines – About 100 personnel from the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) and Manila City Hall are taking part in cleaning garbage at the Manila Bay, which was swept towards the bay walk area due to a storm surge.

Authorities said around 40 trucks of garbage have been collected from the bay walk area since Monday.

Most of the garbage collected are kitchen waste (45%), paper (17%), plastic (16%) and wood (7%).

A wounded sea turtle, or “pawikan,” was also rescued by trash collectors.

“Nakita namin noong tumaob na siya, lumabas ang ulo niya. Hindi naman namin akalain na mayroon palang pawikan diyan,” said MMDA’s Noel Cabiro.

The turtle was turned over to doctors of the Manila Zoo.

The US Embassy, meanwhile, was not spared from the floods that submerged Roxas Boulevard on Wednesday.

Security guards had to carry some employees out of the embassy as they evacuated while some Americans waded through the waters.

This is the third time Roxas Boulevard has experienced such flooding.

During typhoon “Pedring” last year, the seawall was damaged.

It was spared this time but the Public Works and Highways Department said the seawall's height is too low.

The floods eventually receded around noon and Roxas Boulevard was reopened to traffic.

Authorities also remind the public that those caught throwing garbage in Manila Bay will face imprisonment. -- Reports from Jeff Canoy, ABS-CBN News; ANC