Sea of garbage: Roxas Blvd cleanup to take 3 days
MANILA, Philippines - The Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) on Thursday said it will take 3 days to remove tons of garbage swept by waves into Roxas Boulevard.
The MMDA has so far gathered at least 40 truckloads of garbage consisting of kitchen waste (45%), paper (17%), plastic (16%) and wood (7%).
MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino said it will take until Saturday to finish the cleanup. He also reiterated his proposal to construct a double-layered seawall at Manila Bay, which is patterned after a similar project in Morocco.
on Wednesday, a strong storm surge at the Manila Bay created waves as high as coconut trees and caused massive flooding on Roxas Boulevard.
The surge started around 4. a.m. causing massive floods on both lanes of Roxas Boulevard, from Quirino Avenue to Kalaw Avenue. Both lanes were impassable to light vehicles, creating traffic jams in the alternate routes such as Taft Avenue, Ermita, UN Avenue, Pedro Gil, Mabini, Burgos, and Quirino.
Tons of garbage floating along Manila Bay were also dumped by the storm surge along Roxas Blvd. The perimeter of the US Embassy was also hit by almost knee-high floods, prompting management to evacuate their employees as well as those applying for US visas.
Security personnel were literally carrying the employees, both Filipinos and Americans, on their backs wading through the floods.