Korean tourist released after 4-month captivity

Posted at 08/17/14 8:58 AM

MANILA, Philippines - A Korean tourist was allegedly detained for four months by men who kidnapped him when he boarded a taxi in Cubao, Quezon City last April, police said yesterday.

Kijeong Lee, 30, was allegedly released by one of his kidnappers on the night of Aug. 11, also in Cubao.

A report that reached the Quezon City Police District-Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit (QCPD-CIDU) stated that Lee was kidnapped at around noon on April 25 along EDSA.

At that time, Lee boarded a taxicab and was on his way to the Korean embassy in Taguig. As he was boarding the cab, he did not notice that two men had followed him into the vehicle and sat in the backseat.

Lee told police the taxi driver pulled out a bladed weapon and pointed it at his torso while the two other men covered his face with a black cloth.

He was brought to a place where the men allegedly took P250,000 he had in his bag.

Lee said the men detained him for about four months. On Aug. 11, one of the men brought him to EDSA in Cubao in a taxi and left him there.

Chief Inspector Rodel Marcelo, head of the QCPD-CIDU, said the victim could not provide specific details of his kidnapping.

Marcelo said the Korean could not identify the plate number of the taxi he boarded nor the car that dropped him off on the night of his release.

Marcelo said the victim had been turned over to the Korean embassy as investigators looked into the case.