Manhunt ongoing vs suspect in Robredo diver's killing
MANILA – Malacañang has assured the family of an American technical diver that the Philippine National Police (PNP) will hunt down the suspect who shot him dead in Las Piñas City.
The victim, identified as Matthew Caldwell, was among those who helped in the search and rescue operation for the late Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo last year.
In an interview with radio dzRB on Sunday, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the Palace has already checked with the PNP regarding the manhunt operation.
“We did receive a report and it saddens us to hear that… We checked with the PNP and the manhunt is ongoing for the particular suspect that is involved in the shooting,” she said.
Caldwell’s wife is reportedly asking assistance from the government so the suspect in her husband’s killing would immediately be arrested.
Caldwell was shot inside in a Las Piñas City subdivision Thursday night.
Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) spokesman Commander Armand Balilo said Caldwell was shot by a security guard after a verbal altercation at the gate of the subdivision.
Balilo said the guards refused entry to Caldwell, which led to the argument. He was shot at around 10:30 p.m.
Balilo added that there is a split in the homeowners’ association of Hamilton Heights and it is possible that Caldwell and the guards on duty were at opposing sides.
Caldwell was a PCG auxiliary captain and was also part of the search and retrieval operation of 21 passengers trapped in the MV Catalyn B in 2010.