Calls for rescue ring out online
MANILA - People in need of urgent rescue amid heavy rains and floods in Metro Manila and nearby provinces are using the internet to seek help.
On Twitter and Facebook, people are using the #RescuePH hashtag to seek help while #ReliefPH is used to call for food, medicine and clothes.
A website, rescueph.com, has also been set up to locate those in need of rescue.
The calls for urgent help include:
- An adult with 3 children stranded on top their roof in Batista Subd., Biñan, Laguna
- An elderly person in Brgy. San Jose, Biñan, Laguna, who is on the roof of their house with no food or clean water.
- A family at Josephine Subdivision in Kawit, Cavite, who have been on their roof since Sunday night.
- People who sought shelter and trapped at the Bacau flyover in Noveleta, Cavite.
- A woman and her family in who sought refuge on their rooftop in Dela Paz Biñan, Laguna.
#RescuePH 940 Cristobal St, Phase 5A, Gatchalian Subdv, Manuyo 2, Las Pinas City. Still stranded at 2nd floor, no food and water still.
— Weil Ylagan (@weilkyway) August 19, 2013
— TitaMom (@TitaLuv13) August 19, 2013
Rescue.ph organizer Rosario Juan said people can help by monitoring and encoding rescue requests in the group's database.
Government agencies and private organizations use the data to send help to those in immediate need.
Last year, rescue.ph was also at the forefront of crowdsourcing calls for rescue from people trapped in the flooding from the storm-enhanced southwest monsoon.