Taguig eyes raps vs Makati police for intrusion
MANILA -- The local government of Taguig on Thursday said it will file charges against the chief of Makati police for encroaching in Taguig's territory.
The statement came after Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay released footage from a closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera showing employees of both cities in an altercation at McKinley Road in Bonifacio Global City (BGC).
In a press conference on Thursday, Binay said a group of men wearing "I Love Taguig" shirts attempted to sow confusion by taking down banners declaring BGC as Makati property.
Taguig's Public Order and Safety Office (POSO), for its part, insisted that the territory was "well beyond [Makati's] area of responsibility."
"We will be filing charges against Makati's chief of police for encroaching in Taguig territory... There is no direct [Court of Appeals] order for the Makati police to exercise jurisdiction over Fort Bonifacio or BGC," it said.
It also noted that the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) had already said that Fort Bonifacio will remain under the control of Taguig City Police.
It also denied Binay's allegation that it allowed one of its personnel who displayed a gun during the altercation to escape, saying that the person was released after following due process.
Taguig's POSO said it does not condone misconduct and misbehavior in its jurisdiction. "Let all those guilty of such be punished to the full extent of the law."
"In this light, we also register our demand that Makati surrenders to Taguig all policemen and personnel of its MAPSA, Engineering Office and other employees who encroached within our boundaries."
"We will continue to exercise jurisdiction over Fort Bonifacio until a final ruling of the courts say otherwise. Let us leave it at that," it said.