Man dies as fire guts ancestral house in QC

Posted at 10/18/12 7:20 AM

MANILA, Philippines – A man died after fire hit his family's ancestral house in Quezon City early morning on Thursday.

Authorities said the fire started at 1 a.m. at the ancestral house of the Chua family at the corner of Banawe and Cuenco streets in Barangay Lourdes.

Robert Chua, 50, died after being trapped on the second floor of their house. His body was found inside a bathroom after the fire was declared out at 4:15 a.m.

Chua's relatives said the victim returned to their house to get several important documents.

Three members of the Chua family were injured. A pet dog, a Shih Tzu, also died.

Authorities said some flammable paints in one of the rooms may have triggered the fire.

The house was easily engulfed by fire because it was made of old wood.– reports from Jacque Manabat, ABS-CBN News; and Zandro Ochona, dzMM