EcoWaste Coalition warns of toxic candles
MANILA, Philippines -- Environmental watchdog EcoWaste Coalition has warned the public against purchasing imported candles that allegedly contain the toxic metal lead.
In an interview with radio DZMM, Ecowaste Coalition Manager Tony Dizon said 7 out of 12 candles that were sampled tested high on lead.
He said these candles from China which contain "lead wire" are being sold in stores in Binondo despite having been banned in America, Australia, Canada and Denmark since 2003.
He said candles containing the toxic material is harmful to the health and may cause brain damage.
"Nakakatakot 'yung peligro na dulot nito dahil mabilis ito mag-vapor, lalo na ngayong Undas ang bilis ng release ng toxic chemicals dito. 'Yung immediate na gumagamit nito ay sigurado kaagad na masisinghot nila ang ganitong klase ng lason," he added.
Dizon reminded the public to purchase locally-made candles instead since they do not contain lead wire and are actually cheaper than imported candles. -- With a report from DZMM