Police commander sacked over FEU shooting

Posted at 12/06/12 11:57 AM

MANILA, Philippines – A police commander tasked to oversee the peace situation in the university belt area was relieved following the shooting incident in front of the Far Eastern University (FEU) earlier this week.

National Capital Region Police Office chief Leonardo Espina said he has ordered Manila Police District Director Alex Gutierrez to sack Senior Inspector Antonio Daag for the latter's supposed operational lapses.

Two FEU students died after they were shot in front of the FEU campus in Morayta, Manila on Tuesday.

Jerald Ramos, 21, was declared dead on arrival at the UST Hospital. Juan Paulo Nepomuceno, 17, on the other hand, died at around 10 p.m. in the same hospital following attempts to save his life.

The victims' companion, 18-year-old Adrian Joseph Santiago, is now in stable condition in Mary Chiles General Hospital after being shot as well.

In a statement, the FEU condemned the shooting and asked members of the FEU community to join the nine-day prayer vigil that started yesterday.

"The FEU community deeply mourns this act of violence against its students and we share the bereavement of the families of Jerald and Paulo," FEU said.

The prayer vigil today will be held at FEU Manila's Gate 4 along Nicanor Reyes Street.

Succeeding vigils will be held at the FEU Manila Quadrangle.

"We urge everyone to unite with us in condemning these senseless acts of violence," FEU said.

Police said they are eyeing fraternity wars as the possible reason behind the shooting. However, they noted that the victims were members of the university's drums and bugle band.

Investigations are still ongoing. – with a report from Arnell Ozaeta, dzMM