Manhunt launched for trigger-happy ex-cop
MANILA, Philippines - Manila police have launched a manhunt against a former police officer who fired his service firearm indiscriminately in Tondo last Saturday and left 4 people injured.
The suspect was identified as former Police Officer 1 Allan Ruiz, who was allegedly dropped from the service after he went absent without leave (AWOL) since November 19, 2012.
Ruiz was previously assigned to the National Capital Region Police Office's (NCPRO) Public Safety Battalion.
Manila Police District (MPD) Senior Police Officer 1 investigator James Poso said they have a launched manhunt against Ruiz.
One of the Ruiz's victims is an 11-year-old old boy who sustained a gunshot wound on his right thigh.
The boy's family has lodged a criminal complaint against Ruiz.
The victim said he was just buying at a sari-sari store on Perla Street in Tondo when a drunk man started firing his gun at the pavement.
The boy is now out of danger but remains under medical observation.
Another victim, Allan dela Cruz, was injured by shrapnel. Dela Cruz told ABS-CBN News that he often sees Ruiz drunk.
The NCPRO is set to release the photo of Ruiz to help in his arrest.