Michael Ray: No ill feelings toward accusers
MANILA, Philippines -- Former police officer Michael Ray Aquino, who was released by a Manila court Wednesday, said he has no ill feelings toward anyone who implicated him in the Dacer-Corbito double murder case.
He said he just wants to rebuild the life that he had before he was put in jail.
"I am looking forward to rebuilding the life I had before these unfortunate events. I neither hold responsible nor bear ill feelings against anyone for implicating me and some of my men in this case," he said in a statement Thursday.
Aquino had been detained at the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) for 18 months over the killing of public relations man Bubby Dacer and driver Emmanuel Corbito.
His lawyer, Atty. Napoleon Poblador, earlier said the Manila Regional Trial Court's release order means the evidence against the former cop was not enough to establish guilt beyond reasonable doubt.
Aquino said he now wishes to make up for the time he had been away from his family.
"Having spent 69 months in various jails in the United States and 18 months at the NBI facility, I am grateful, happy and relieved to be reunited with my family, especially this Christmas season. At this point, I intend to make up for the time i was not with them," he said.
He said he also prays for the release of the other suspects accused in the Dacer-Corbito double murder case.
"How I wish I could share this joy and blessing with the other co-accused in the case so they could also be with their family this Christmas."
"I sincerely hope that true and fair justice be likewise served to all the parties in this case," Aquino added.