BuCor chief already quit, says de Lima
MANILA, Philippines - Justice Secretary Leila de Lima announced Friday that on-leave Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) Director Gaudencio Pangilinan has already submitted his resignation to the Office of the President.
"I am now waiting for confirmation so I can also officially start the vetting of his possible replacements," she told reporters.
De Lima said 5 to 6 people have so far expressed interest in the BuCor position.
Pangilinan went on indefinite leave at the height of the Rolito Go abduction scandal last August 14. Go went missing inside the New Bilibid Prison but reappeared more than 24 hours later, saying he was kidnapped inside the prison.
Pangilinan was also accused of violating bidding regulations, overspending funds, and giving special treatment to some wealthy inmates.
Manuel Co was previously assigned as officer-in-charge of the BuCor after Pangilinan took leave.
DOJ to appeal ruling on Michael Ray
Meanwhile, De Lima also expressed the DOJ's intention to appeal the dismissal of murder charges against former police officer Michael Ray Aquino.
"Hindi naman double jeopardy yun, dismissal pa lang kasi. The panel will file a motion for reconsideration based on the testimony of Dumlao," she said.
Aquino fled to the United States in 2001 after he and another police officer, Cesar Mancao, were charged in the 11-year-old Dacer-Corbito double murder case.
He returned home last year and had been detained at the National Bureau of Investigation.
A Manila court ordered his release last Wednesday. Report by Atom Araullo, ABS-CBN News