Goodbye Bading, Gangnam Boom banned for New Year
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) has again warned the public to avoid using illegal and dangerous firecrackers to celebrate the New Year.
Chief Supt. Raul Petrasanta, director of the Firearms and Explosives Division, urged the public not to buy firecrackers which are declared dangerous like the Super Lolo, Pla-pla, Goobye Philippines, Goodbye Universe, Bin Laden, Watusi, Atomic Bomb, Giant Whistle Bomb, and Lolo Thunder.
The PNP is also monitoring the sale of illegal firecrackers like Goodbye Bading, Gangnam Boom, End of the World, Babasi, and Pacman Ultrana.
PNP spokesperson Generoso Cerbo said these firecrackers violated safety standards under Republic Act 7183.
The Department of Health (DOH), meanwhile, is considering a partial or total ban on firecrackers if firecracker-related injuries continue to rise.
Health officials have recorded at least 70 firecracker-related injuries so far.
DOH spokesman Dr. Eric Tayag said local governments such as Davao have imposed total bans on firecrackers.
Some countries have also banned firecrackers in residential areas.
Tayag and the "Umagang Kay Ganda" hosts also did the "Gangnam Style" dance Wednesday morning to remind Filipinos to skip using firecrackers on New Year's Eve. -- Report from Gus Abelgas, ABS-CBN News; Robert Mano, dzMM; ANC