7 victims of stray bullets reported in Cotabato

Posted at 01/02/13 9:47 PM

COTABATO CITY, Philippines – Victims of stray bullets in Region 12 have reached 7, according to the surveillance units of the Department of Health (DOH) Region 12.

Five of the victims came from Cotabato City while 2 were from the province of North Cotabato.

Firework-related injuries, meanwhile, dropped from 65 last year to 45.

Twenty cases were reported in South Cotabato, 15 in Cotabato City, 5 in General Santos City, 4 in Sultan Kudarat Province and one in North Cotabato.

"Bumaba nga ang mga nasugatan sa paputok pero nakakalungkot isipin na tumaas naman ang mga natamaan ng mga ligaw na bala," said Jennelyn Ventura of DOH Region 12 said.

Piccolo, kwitis and sparklers are the most dangerous fireworks in the region.

Most of the victims were 10 years old and below.

DOH Region 12 said it will continue to monitor hospitals for firework-related incidents until January 5.