MANILA -- Residents of a coastal village in Estancia, Iloilo held a protest at the provincial capitol on Tuesday following the death of another resident allegedly due to the oil spill from a dislodged power barge.
Reynaldo dela Cruz, resident of Barangay Botongon, died last January 28 due to cardiopulmonary arrest.
Dela Cruz's death is being linked to leaked bunker oil from a power barge which got dislodged at the height of typhoon Yolanda's onslaught in November last year.
The protest was held while local officials were meeting with representatives of Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., the contractor tasked to do the oil spill cleanup.
Protesters said the Department of Health should be monitoring their area. The DOH, however, insists there is no evidence that the oil spill caused the deaths of Dela Cruz and two others.
The DOH said the 20-meter buffer zone remains in effect and residents elsewhere may return to their homes. - ANC