NPA declares 4-day ceasefire to release kidnap victims
MANILA, Philippines - Communist rebels declared yesterday a four-day ceasefire to facilitate the release of a soldier and a policeman they kidnapped in Compostela Valley last month.
Army Pfc. Jezreel Culango and PO1 Ruel Pasion were kidnapped last Jan. 17 at a checkpoint set up by the New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Laak town.
The rebels’ ceasefire will cover the towns of Kapalong, San Isidro, Asuncion, New Corella all in Davao del Norte and Laak in Compostela Valley.
Rubi del Mundo, spokesperson for the National Democratic Front-Southern Mindanao, said the Army’s 10th Infantry Division should reciprocate the truce, which would start today until Friday.
“While on temporary ceasefire in the aforesaid areas, the NPA remains in active defensive posture against the enemy’s attacks,” Del Mundo said.
The military said it does not see the need to reciprocate the rebels’ declaration.
“They (rebels) should just release the victims. Kidnapping is against the law,” Armed Forces spokesman Col. Arnulfo Burgos Jr. said.