2 more bodies found in sunken fishing vessel in Cavite

Posted at 03/15/14 1:39 PM

MANILA (UPDATED) -- The death toll in the Cavite sea collision rose to four on Saturday, after rescuers found two more bodies in the wreckage of the sunken fishing vessel.

The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) said the bodies of fishermen Romnick Rosales and Ruben Orzal were recovered from the ill-fated F/B Dan Israel past 9 a.m.

The fishing vessel sank after it was hit by a still unidentified cargo vessel in the waters between Caballo and El Fraile Island near Ternate, Cavite between 11 p.m. and midnight on Wednesday.

The body of fisherman Jojo Sumbilla was recovered on Thursday, more than 12 hours after the collision occurred. Another body, identified as that of Vincent dela Cruz, was found by divers from the fishing vessel on Friday.

So far, 13 fishermen have been rescued.

Seven others, meanwhile, are still missing. Search and rescue operations are ongoing.

The Coast Guard said they will retrieve the sunken F/B Dan Israel, where the missing fishermen are believed to have been trapped.

The Coast Guard, meanwhile, earlier said they are investigating two cargo vessels, identified as M/V Virginia Kalikasan and M/V Ocean Hope, in connection with the accident.

Balilo had told ANC that the vessel traffic management system in Corregidor said the two ships passed through the area at the time the collision occurred. -- Reports from Johnson Manabat, dzMM; Paul Hernandez, ABS-CBN News Batangas