6 barangays in Obando, Bulacan flooded

Posted at 06/18/12 12:59 PM

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATE) - Residents of Obando, Bulacan are bracing for more floods Monday afternoon as rains persist over Metro Manila.

This is because a dike blocking water from Manila Bay was destroyed.

Heavy rains brought knee-deep floods to 6 barangays in Obando namely Panghulo, Catanghalan, Pag-asa, Paliwas, Hulo and Tawiran Monday morning.

The water level is expected to rise around 1 p.m. when the sea level is at its peak.

Obando Municipal Administrator Alfredo Contreras said they are expecting nearly 4 feet of tide water, based on the PAGASA forecast.

Obando Mayor Orencio San Gabriel, meanwhile, said he declared as early as 3 a.m. the suspension of classes from pre-school to high school in the town.

Classes at the Bulacan Polytechnic College were also suspended.

San Gabriel said damages sustained by the town’s dike, which includes the destruction from typhoon “Pedring” in 2011, contributed to today’s flooding.

He said the dike was needed to fend off waters from the Manila Bay. He also noted that the town of Obando is lower than sea level.

“Nasira ang 7.5 kilometers na dike na humaharang sa tubig dagat ng Manila Bay. Iyan po ay nagawa subalit ngayon ay nasira na naman dahil sa lakas ng tubig,” San Gabriel told Mornings@ANC.

San Gabriel said President Aquino has already allotted P49 million for the building of a new dike.

He said no evacuation for residents has been made so far.