Zameco officials in hot water over boy's death
MANILA, Philippines – Officials of the Zambales Electric Cooperative (ZAMECO) II are in hot water over the death of an 8-year-old boy and injury of two others who were electrocuted by one of the cooperative’s power cables in Castillejos, Zambales.
ZAMECO II General Manager Albert Farrales said they are now looking into the incident that killed James Sanchez and injured Jose Genedy Sanchez and Rosandy Gutierrez.
Faralles, however, said it will take two weeks before they could come out with the results of the investigation.
“Sa nangyaring 'yan, lalo kaming naghigpit ngayon sa aming pagpapatrol ng linya,” he said.
But residents living near the President Ramon Magsaysay Elementary School where the accident took place complained of ZAMECO II’s bad service.
“Ilang beses na po itong nagspark eh antagal pong mag-aksyon ng ZAMECO,” said one woman, while pointing at an electrical post owned by the power company.
“Ninyerbyos na kami eh,” said another resident. “Baka mangyari dito sa aming barangay.”
The accident occurred during a downpour past 4 p.m. on Thursday, when one of ZAMECO’s electric cable accidentally snapped.
According to witnesses, the cable fell on the victims, electrocuting them.
Dionisio Andrada, who was standing nearby, was able to pull the victims away from the cable.
“Nakuryente na nga ako pero pinabayaan ko na lang,” he said.
Of the three victims, James Sanchez was declared dead on arrival in a hospital. -- With a report from Dominic Almelor, ABS-CBN News