GenSan police chiefs sacked over jueteng
MANILA, Philippines – Three police chiefs in General Santos City were relieved from duty after failing to curb operations of illegal numbers game “jueteng” in their respective jurisdictions.
Philippine National Police (PNP) Spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo said the sacked officials were Chief Inspector Leo Sua, Chief Inspector Samuel Cadungon and Senior Inspector Hoover Antonio.
Their relief from duty became effective last July 12.
The three police chiefs are now undergoing pre-charge evaluation for alleged neglect of duty after illegal gambling activities were uncovered within their area during anti-illegal gambling operations launched recently by the PNP Anti-Illegal Gambling-Special Operations Task Forces (AIG-SOTF).
The police chiefs were relieved based on the PNP’s one-strike policy.
The PNP said under the policy, “a chief of police shall be relieved when two of his subordinate Police Community Precinct Commanders had been relieved under similar circumstances.”
A provincial or city director, meanwhile, will be relieved if at least three police chiefs under his command were sacked.
A regional director shall be relieved when at least two subordinate provincial or city directors were relieved.
The PNP recently expanded the policy to cover the government’s efforts against illegal logging efforts and crime.
“Under the expanded One Strike Policy, a Police Station commander faces relief from post if another higher PNP unit will be able to confirm the existence of illegal-gambling, illegal-logging and Wanted Persons in his area of jurisdiction through positive result of a police operation or arrest of suspects,” the PNP said.