'Gener' leaves 3 dead: NDRRMC

Posted at 07/30/12 12:58 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Tropical storm “Gener” has left three people dead after bringing heavy rains over Metro Manila and some parts of Luzon over the weekend.

Based on reports provided by the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), the storm has so far claimed three lives.

The NDRRMC said Bugasong, Antique resident Ronald Necor, 33, drowned last July 28.

The second fatality was 60-year-old Ernest Flores, who died of “respiratory problems” after the roll-on, roll-off (RORO) vessel he boarded ran aground and got burned down off Romblon on Sunday night.

Teodoro Flores, 42, died after being crushed by a falling tree in Barangay Santiago, San Pablo City, Laguna.

The local government of Rosario, Cavite under Mayor Nonong Ricafrente, meanwhile, also reported that an unidentified man believed to be a fisherman was found floating in Manila Bay near their area.

However, Ramos said the unidentified man is not yet included in their official tally of casualties.

Ricafrente also reported two marine researchers working for research firm Geoconsult remain missing.

He said the two researchers, who were doing work for the Philippine Reclamation Authority, last called them at around 2 a.m. Monday to tell them that their boat was swept in Parañaque area.

Affected residents, infrastructures

The NDRRMC said a total of 5,816 families of 28,631 people were affected by the floods. Of these people, 2,413 are currently seeking refuge inside evacuation centers.

It said a total of 18 barangays in five provinces were affected by the storm.

Two roads in Benguet, one in Mountain Province, one in Ifugao, and two bridges in Cagayan were closed to traffic as of July 29 due to landslide warnings.

In Palawan, a bridge and a road were impassable to traffic. In Occidental Mindoro, on the other hand, a bridge was also closed to traffic.

At least 140 houses in Hinobaan, Negros Occidental were either totally or partially damaged.