5 Maguindanao mayors given show-cause order
MANILA, Philippines – Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jesse Robredo wants 5 mayors of Maguindanao to explain why they allegedly abandoned their posts amid attacks by the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) last Sunday.
Robredo said the mayors have five days to comply with the show-cause order or else they will face charges for abandoning their posts.
The mayors were identified as:
• Mayor Bai Zandra Sinsuat Ampatuan (Saydona)
• Mayor Bai Reshal Santiago Ampatuan (Datu Unsay)
• Mayor Bai Bongbong Midtimbang Ampatuan (Datu Hoffer)
• Mayor Datu Saudi Sheam II B. Ampatuan (Saudi Ampatuan)
• Acting Mayor Kanor D. Ampatuan (Salibo town)
Robredo said the mayors are seldom seen in their respective offices and often work from their homes in Cotabato City.
Last Sunday, hundreds of BIFF members reportedly led by Ameril Umbra Kato attacked a military detachment and Army brigade headquarters in the towns of Shariff Aguak, Datu Unsay, Datu Saudi and Guindulungan. -- Report from Edwin Sevidal, dzMM