Cavite: 90 percent of Petron leak cleaned up
MANILA - Cavite Governor Juanito Victor Remulla said more than 90 percent of the oil spill in Rosario has been cleaned up.
In an interview with ANC, he said around 50 square kilometers have been contaminated. Petron Corp. already admitted to the leak, which started from their underwater pipeline.
Remulla said diesel easily evaporates, which made the clean-up easier. “We are fortunate that it was diesel…It's not as scary as it sounds but it's not simple either...a lot of the remaining effects will be onshore.”
He said the oil firm has already sprayed “organic degreasers to eat up the remaining diesel on shore."
He denied, however, downplaying the incident. He said that the Cavite government, in fact, is already preparing to take legal actions against Petron.
The Philippine Coast Guard will conduct another dive today to document the leak from Petron’s pipeline. This will be used as additional evidence.
The planned dives were cancelled earlier this week due to typhoon Labuyo.
“The operatives found the cause of the leak last Sunday. All indications point to the Petron pipeline. We put dye in the water, [the] test showed discoloration of water just 500 meters from the shoreline. All indications show the pipeline is the source of the leak. - ANC