One dead in Philippine earthquake
MANILA - One person in the Philippines was killed when a powerful earthquake struck off the east coast of the country on Friday, the civil defence chief said.
Benito Ramos, executive director of the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council, said one person was killed following Friday night's quake.
"There's a 60-year-old woman who died and a five-year-old girl who was injured. There was a small landslide," Benito Ramos said on DZMM radio, referring to the incident in Cagayan de Oro city in the southern Philippines.
"The quake occurred amid a strong rain, so the earth shook loose and there was a landslide."
He said no other casualties had been reported.
The US Geological Survey said the 7.6 quake had a depth of 34 kilometres (21 miles) and hit at 8:47 pm (1247 GMT), 139 kilometres east of Sulangan city on Samar island.
© 1994-2012 Agence France-Presse