3 MNLF rebels killed in Zambo night battle
MANILA - Three suspected Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) rebels were killed in a clash with government forces in Zamboanga City Thursday night, the military said.
The three rebels, who have yet to be identified, were shot dead in Barangay Sta. Barbara at around 7:30 p.m., according to Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc, commander of the Army's 7th Civil Relations Group.
He said MNLF rebels tried to breach a security cordon under the cover of darkness.
Government troops wearing night-vision devices spotted them and a firefight ensued.
"Our soldiers are watching the possible exit routes using night vision devices to prevent them from escaping," he said.
Soldiers seized 3 high-powered firearms from the slain rebels.
Earlier in the day, Scout Rangers seized a cal. 50 heavy machinegun tripod and empty magazines after a clash with Nur Misuari's supporters also at Sta. Barbara.
Heavy clashes broke out in parts of Zamboanga city on Thursday, resulting in 11 rebels killed.
More than 100 people have died while about 112,000 have been displaced in 11 days of fighting with the rebels from the Misuari faction of the MNLF.
The Army said only 70 rebels were holding out after about 100 had either surrendered or been captured, and 86 had been killed. - with a report from Reuters