Misuari's nephew, 35 more MNLF rebels surrender
AFP: Zambo crisis will end soon
MANILA -- Thirty-six fighters from the Nur Misuari faction of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) surrendered to government troops on Wednesday, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said.
In a press briefing at Camp Aguinaldo, Philippine Army's 7th Civil Relations Group commander Lt. Col. Harold Cabunoc said among those who surrendered was MNLF commander Enir Misuari, who is believed to be a nephew of the founding chairman.
Recovered from the latest batch of rebels who surrendered were 23 high-powered firearms, he said.
They are now undergoing tactical debriefing, he added.
The rebels' surrender comes as the standoff entered its 17th day on Wednesday.
— Team AFP (@TeamAFP) September 25, 2013
Cabunoc said Misuari's top commander, Ustadz Habier Malik, and two other men refused to surrender despite being "abandoned" by the others today.
In a separate press conference, however, Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) director Chief Supt. Francisco Uyami Jr. said that the report he has received so far is that only 23 MNLF fighters have surrendered.
Meanwhile, the AFP believes that with the latest developments, the crisis in Zamboanga City will end soon.
According to the AFP, a total of 114 rebels are now facing rebellion charges.
At least 110 MNLF rebels have died in the fighting.
Fourteen soldiers have died in the clashes, with 147 others wounded in action, while five police officers and 12 civilians have also been killed. -- Reports from Edwin Sevidal and David Oro, dzMM