'Pedring’ leaving, ‘Quiel’ arriving

Posted at 09/28/2011 8:23 AM | Updated as of 09/28/2011 10:31 AM

MANILA, Philippines – Typhoon “Pedring” continues to move away from the Philippines, but a new tropical storm is expected to enter the country within 24 hours, weather bureau PAGASA said on Wednesday.

PAGASA officer-in-charge and Department of Science and Technology (DOST) Undersecretary Graciano Yumul said the typhoon, which battered most parts of Luzon and claimed at least 18 lives, is now over the West Philippine Sea and is headed towards China.

As of 4 a.m. Wednesday, PAGASA had already lifted the storm signal warning over Metro Manila.

Storm signal warning number 2 remains hoisted over Zambales, La Union and Pangasinan, while storm signal number 1 is up over Bataan, Pampanga, Benguet, Tarlac, Ilocos Sur, Abra, Ilocos Norte.

Packing maximum sustained winds of 120 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center with gustiness of up to 150 kph, Pedring was last spotted 300 kilometers northwest of Baguio City.

The typhoon is expected to be 500 kms northwest of Baguio City by Wednesday afternoon. It was moving west northwest at 19 kph.

‘Quiel’

Yumul said a new tropical storm (international name: Nalgae), spotted 1400 kms east of northern Luzon, will enter the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) within 24 hours. It will be named “Quiel.”

The weather chief said the effects of the storm will be experienced by Saturday.

“Ine-expect po natin ang epekto nitong si tropical storm Quiel, kapag pumasok po siya at walang pagbabago, ay mararamdaman pa po natin sa Sabado. Malayo pa po si Quiel,” he said.

“Yung latest trackline natin, pag nakapasok na siya sa PAR, tatama po siya sa northern Luzon yung tip ng Laoag City, at in the process po ay hahatakin niya po ang ating hanging habagat na siyang magpapaulan sa kanlurang bahagi ng Luzon.”

PAGASA also warned ships and small vessels from sailing as “strong to gale force wind is expected to affect the eastern seaboard of southern Luzon, the seaboards of Visayas and the western seaboard of Mindanao.”

Dams

According to Yumul, several dams opened their gates after reaching their respective spilling levels.

Angat dam opened one gate after rains breached its spilling level by 3.3 meters. The La Mesa dam also went .03 meters over its spilling level of 80.15 meters.

Magat dam, meanwhile, opened 7 gates after it reached 1.74 meters over its spilling levels. Yumul said the gates were releasing 22 cubic meters of water per second.

Ipo dam has not reached its spilling level. However, it opened 2 gates, releasing 1.5 cubic meters of water per second.

San Roque and Pantabangan dams, meanwhile, were in normal condition as of posting time

Power supply, MRT and LRT operations

Following the power outage experienced in most areas hit by the typhoon yesterday, Meralco coordinator Theresa Adriano said that as of 3 a.m., it had restored 96.13% of power in its distribution circuits.

“Dun sa distribution circuits natin sa Meralco, ang naibabalik natin 96.13%. May mga isolated areas within that circuit, kumbaga restored, pero may mga pailan-ilang [electrical] trip ang hindi naibalik, posibleng dahil sa baha o may iki-clear pa tayong trouble sa area nila,” Adriano said.

The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) said the following areas remain without power as of 8:00 a.m.:

Nueva Vizcaya: 98%
Isabela: 86%
La Union: 92%
Bataan: 87%
Nueva Ecija: 77%
Pampanga: 24%
Zambales: 93%
Benguet: 78%
Cagayan: 7%

NGCP said the loss of power may be caused by damaged transmission facilities or damaged distribution facilities of local distribution utilities of electric cooperatives.

The operations of MRT-3 and LRT lines 1 and 2, meanwhile, resumed today. They were suspended yesterday due to safety concerns and power fluctuation.