Spokesman belittles arrest warrant for Misuari
MANILA – Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) spokesperson Emmanuel Fontanilla on Thursday belittled the arrest warrant for the group's founding chairman Nur Misuari over the 20-day siege in Zamboanga City.
In an interview with dzMM, Fontanilla said the MNLF does not recognize the arrest warrant but admitted that Misuari will remain in hiding.
"Nobody has yet established na nilusob ng MNLF ang Zamboanga," Fontanilla said.
"Hindi namin ito pinapansin kasi we will bring the matter to the international community… Normal na magtatago ka kasi huhulihin ka."
Fontanilla insists that the government should have asked the intervention of a third party such as the United Nations or the Organization of Islamic Cooperation in dealing with the group.
A Zamboanga court on Wednesday issued warrants of arrest against Misuari, his top aide Ustadz Habier Malik and 63 others inconnection with the siege last month. Misuari and his followers are facing rebellion raps and violation of humanitarian laws.
Justice Secretary Leila De Lima earlier said she would ask the Supreme Court to transfer the hearings in Manila for security purposes.
She said she will also seek custody of more than 200 arrested MNLF men in Bicutan, Taguig.
The Zamboanga City siege began on September 9 and left 244 people dead, 116,000 people displaced and thousands of homes razed.
Meanwhile, Fontanilla also denied that the MNLF-Misuari faction received a part of the P1.8 billion from the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) funds released by the government in 2011 for the reintegration program for rebels from MNLF and other groups.
The Palace already explained that the DAP funds were released to the government's Payapa at Masaganang Pamayanan (PAMANA) program by the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP).