Palace still optimistic on peace amid Tacurong blast

Posted at 10/18/12 6:14 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang remains confident that peace will persist in Mindanao amid a bomb explosion in Tacurong City on Thursday.

The Palace said “there will always be people who will try to be obstacles to giving peace a chance in Mindanao,” and urged peace advocates to persist and not to give up hope.

“Those who are for peace should strive forward and ensure that the atmosphere that has prevailed before and subsequent to the signing of the Framework Agreement persists. That there is hope; that there is encouragement; that there is a chance for peace to persist in Mindanao so that there will be stability for all the citizens especially for those in Muslim Mindanao," Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said.

Thursday’s explosion occurred around 30 meters from a Land Bank of the Philippines branch in Tacurong City past 7 a.m.

No one was reported injured in the incident.

Authorities have yet to determine the motive behind the attack, but Tacurong City Police chief Sr. Supt. George Tuson said they have been receiving intelligence reports of a bomb attack in the city.

Two explosions were also reported in Mindanao last week, particularly in Zamboanga Sibugay and Cagayan de Oro City.

Authorities are investigating if the attacks are related, and if it is linked to the recent signing of the Framework Agreement between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front. -- Reports from Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News; Edwin Sevidal, dzMM