Visayas quake death toll rises to 211
MANILA - At least 211 people have now been killed by the magnitude 7.2 earthquake in the Visayas, disaster management officials said Friday.
Most of the victims are from Bohol, where the quake struck last week, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said.
Meantime, the Department of Social of Welfare and Development (DSWD) has launched text hotlines for quake victims and their relatives.
The DSWD said people can use the service by typing IREPORT<space>name/location/message that should be sent to 2327 or 09178902327 for Globe and Touch Mobile users. For Smart, Sun and Talk N’ Text subscribers, type IREPORT<space>name/location/message and send to 09189122813.
The hotlines are open 24/7 and texters can expect response within 48 hours from the receipt of text message.
Social Welfare Secretary Dinky Soliman, in a press statement, said mobile number 09209463766 can also receive messages on concerns regarding ongoing relief operations in Central Visayas.
She requested that senders need to include their name, exact location (sitio or barrio, barangay, municipality) and concerns.
The hotline numbers can only accommodate text messages, not voice calls.
Soliman also warned people against sending prank text messages that may hamper the speedy delivery of assistance to the victims.