Bulusan spews ash anew

Posted at 11/16/10 10:29 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Bulusan volcano ejected more ash late Monday night, the Philippine Institute of Volcano and Seismology (Phivolcs) said Tuesday.

The Phivolcs said in an initial report that the explosion took place at 11:47 p.m. It said the explosion lasted for 4 minutes and 30 seconds.

It said that the ash ejected by the volcano fell on barangays Bolos, Gulang-Gulang, Tinampo and Monbon in Irosin town.

In an interview on ANC's Headstart, Phivolcs chief Renato Solidum said that the explosion was "not very forceful."

Assessing the explosion through a footage shown by Headstart, Solidum said that the ash explosion's height could be 500 meters or less.

He added that the explosion could be "stronger than [the] Friday explosion, but was less strong than the November 9 explosion."

He said the volcano's activity "was not as dangerous" and the materials it has been emitting since it was placed on Alert Level 1 last November 6 were old, meaning magma or materials formerly erupted or deposited by the volcano.

Solidum said that the Phivolcs does not see the possibility of a powerful explosion from the volcano.

"If there is a new material or magma, it will contain more gas. More materials can be thrown out, the explosion can be taller. It can be more explosive and materials, ash and rocks can roll down from the volcano and reach beyond 5 kilometers. So far based on our monitoring parameters, we don't see that signal yet," he said.

Solidum, meanwhile, reiterated residents should avoid entering the 4-kilometer permanent danger zone due to possible lahar flows that may be caused by heavy rains. – with a report from Jose Carretero, ABS-CBN Bicol