740 dead, 890 missing due to 'Pablo' - NDRRMC

Posted at 12/11/12 9:12 AM

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATE) – The death toll from Typhoon Pablo has climbed to 740, with the figure expected to rise as 890 remain missing, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Tuesday.

The NDRRMC said only 536 of the bodies have been identified.

Most of the deaths were reported in the devastated provinces of Davao Oriental (374) and Compostela Valley (309).

The number of fatalities in Compostela Valley, which was surprised by flash floods and landslides at the height of Pablo's onslaught last week, is expected to rise since 499 are still missing and feared to be buried under thick mud from the mountains.

Meanwhile, at least 70 people remain missing in Davao Oriental, where the typhoon made its first landfall.

The NDRRMC said at least 5,474,673 were affected by the typhoon, which had dissipated after being downgraded to a low pressure area last Sunday.

At least 100,284 people remain inside evacuation centers after the typhoon caused damage to 132,862 homes.